Dosing and Administration
Zolpimist Oral Spray is available as a metered oral spray where each spray delivers 5 mg of zolpidem tartrate.
|Adult Females||5 mg (initially)|
|Adult Males||5 mg or 10 mg|
|Elderly or debilitated patients||5 mg|
Zolpimist Oral Spray should be sprayed over the tongue and into the back of the throat, and it should be taken immediately before bedtime. ‡2
Do Remind Your Patients To
- Take right before they go to bed, because Zolpimist Oral Spray works quickly
- Take only if they’re able to stay in bed for a full night’s sleep (7-8 hours)
- Spray Zolpimist Oral Spray over the tongue and into the back of the throat
Remind Your Patients, Do NOT
- Do not swallow or drink water after dosing for about one minute
- Take Zolpimist Oral Spray with alcohol
- Take Zolpimist Oral Spray with a meal or right after a meal
- Drive or do any dangerous activities, such as operating heavy machinery, after taking Zolpimist Oral Spray until you feel fully awake
Zolpimist is non-AB rated and should not be substituted.3
- Zolpimist [package insert]. Englewood, CO: Aytu BioScience Inc.; 2018.
- Orange Book: approved drug products with therapeutic equivalence evaluations.http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cder/ob/default.cfm. Accessed August 21, 2015.
- Elderly or debilitated patients may be especially sensitive to the effects of zolpidem tartrate. Patients with hepatic insufficiency do not clear the drug as rapidly as normal subjects. Therefore, the recommended dose of Zolpimist in these patient populations is 5 mg once daily immediately before bedtime. These patients should be closely monitored. Since sedative/hypnotics have the capacity to depress respiratory drive, precautions should be taken with patients who have compromised respiratory function and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Zolpimist should be used with caution in patients with signs or symptoms of depression. The least amount of drug that is feasible should be prescribed for the patient at any one time.
‡ Patients should be counseled to take Zolpimist right before they get in bed and only when they are able to stay in bed a full night (7-8 hours) before being active again.